Florida Healthy Kids

Taxes and Your Health Coverage

1095 B

Click to enlarge

By January 31, 2016, families enrolled in one of the Florida KidCare Programs (Healthy Kids, MediKids, Children's Medical Services and/or Medicaid), should have received a tax form called a 1095B during 2015. This form will list each child who had coverage and the months the child was insured.

Families that receive the form will not need to do anything with the form. However, the form will include information that will be needed when filing federal taxes.

This 1095B form lets the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) know whether your child(ren) had health care coverage from Florida KidCare during 2015.

As a reminder, the Affordable Care Act requires most Americans to have health insurance with a very good benefits package. This kind of insurance is called “minimum essential coverage.” Florida KidCare is considered minimum essential coverage.

A family with individuals who have not had “minimum essential coverage” health insurance for at least 10 months in a calendar year may owe a tax penalty. In general, the payment amount of this penalty is either a percentage of your income or a flat dollar amount, whichever is greater.

Families who have questions should visit www.irs.gov/aca.

Frequently Asked Questions on the Minimum Essential Coverage Requirements

Here are the answers to some questions we’ve already received. If you have any other questions, please call us at 1-800-821-5437.

  1. If my child is cancelled for one month, how much will my penalty be?
    The tax penalty does not apply if someone goes without health insurance in 2015 for less than three months in a row.
  2. What is the penalty for not having insurance?
    It depends on a family’s income. There is a penalty for each month that a person did not have coverage. The total amount a family could owe is 2% of their income if nobody had health insurance for the entire year. For some families, the total yearly penalty is $325 for adults and $162.50 for children.
  3. My child will have Healthy Kids for all of 2015. How will the IRS know that so that I don’t have to pay a penalty?
    Healthy Kids will send that information to the IRS. You will also receive a form from us that you can use when filling out your 1040 or 1040-EZ tax form.
  4. My child has Healthy Kids but I don’t have health insurance. Will we still owe a tax penalty?
    A tax penalty must be paid for each person in a family who did not have health insurance. So even if a child has coverage, a penalty may be owed if the child’s parents didn’t have health insurance.
  5. Can I apply for a premium tax credit for my child, even if he/she is covered by Healthy Kids?
    No. Children in Healthy Kids already receive help with the cost of their coverage Children who can get Healthy Kids for $20 per month or less can't get a premium tax credits.
  6. I am paying the full pay premium for my child. How do I apply for premium tax credits to help me with payments?
    Premium tax credits are not available for Healthy Kids full pay participants. If you want a premium tax credit, you must apply for coverage through the healthcare.gov website during open enrollment. The next time that will happen is November 1, 2015 through January 31, 2016.
  7. Can I have Healthy Kids for my children and still get a premium tax credit for myself?
    Most parents with children on Healthy Kids may qualify for a premium tax credit through the Federal Marketplace, although there are times when that isn't the case. You can find more information at healthcare.gov.
  8. I prefer to have all of our family-members on the same health plan through the Federal Marketplace. Is this possible?
    Only children that are eligible for the full-pay program have the option to participate with their parents in the Marketplace. Children who can get Healthy Kids for $20 per month or less must by law remain in CHIP.
  9. How is the rule that a child must have health insurance handled in a family where the parents are divorced?
    Only one parent can claim the child as a dependent. That is the parent who will report the coverage and who might owe a penalty if the child goes without health insurance.
  10. Can I get my child’s coverage history on the Healthy Kids website?
    No. You will receive that information on the form that will be mailed to you no later than January 31, 2016.
  11. How do I get a 1095B form if I lost my copy or I did not receive one?
    Please call the Florida Agency for Health Care Administration toll-free at 1-844-432-2843.