Frequently Asked Questions?
- What is the difference between Florida Healthy Kids and Florida KidCare?
a. Florida Healthy Kids is just one Florida KidCare partner and covers children 5-18. The Florida KidCare program is made up of Florida Healthy Kids, Medicaid, MediKids and Children’s Medical Services Network. Through these four partners, children ages 0-18 are covered.
- How do I sign up my child for health coverage?
a. It’s easy! You can apply online or call us at 1-888-540-KIDS (5437) to have an application mailed to you. All Florida KidCare programs are applied for with one application. Florida KidCare will place your child in the program that best fits your child’s age and needs.
- How much does Healthy Kids cost?
a. Many families pay $15 or $20 per month, but most families pay nothing at all. A full-pay option is available for families with higher household incomes for the MediKids and Healthy Kids programs. With Healthy Kids, families will also have some small co-pays for certain services.
- Does Healthy Kids cover dental services?
a. Yes. Check out our list of dental benefits for more information.
- What medical services does Healthy Kids cover?
a. Benefits include well-child visits, shots, hospital stays, dental coverage, vision services, prescriptions, mental health services and much more! Check out our list of medical benefits for a complete list of covered services.
- Will I ever need to renew my account?
a. Yes. You must renew every 12 months. We will send you a reminder in the mail.
- I’ve been told that I make too much money for subsidized coverage, but I still need health insurance for my children. How can I get coverage?
a. Florida Healthy Kids offers full-pay options for families with higher family incomes. You can apply using the same Florida KidCare application online or by calling 1-888-540-KIDS (5437) to ask that an application be mailed to you.
- How long does it take to process my application?
a. It takes approximately six weeks. Coverage begins only on the first of the month after your child’s eligibility has been determined and the first month’s premium has been paid.
- Will I be able to choose my child’s doctor?
a. Yes. In Healthy Kids, your child will be enrolled in a health plan and you can select a doctor that participates with this health plan.
- How will the doctor’s office know my child is covered through a Florida KidCare partner?
a. Your Healthy Kids health plan and dental plan will send you an insurance card. You will present this card to the doctor’s office when receiving care.
- Once my child is enrolled, could they ever lose coverage?
a. Your child could lose coverage if you do not make a payment on time, your child reaches 19 years of age, your child gets another form of health insurance (Medicaid, private or employer-sponsored), you do not renew their account every year, or your child moves to another state.
- I am moving to Florida next month. Can I sign my child up for Healthy Kids now?
a. You can apply for coverage as soon as you have a Florida address.