Frequently Asked Questions
- What is Florida KidCare?
a. Florida KidCare is the State of Florida’s health insurance program that covers children ages 0-18. The program is made up of Florida Healthy Kids, Medicaid, MediKids and Children’s Medical Services Network.
- How do I sign up my child for health coverage?
a. It’s easy! You can apply online or call us at 1-888-540-KIDS (5437) to have an application mailed to you. All Florida KidCare programs are applied for with one application. Florida KidCare will place your child in the program that best meets your child’s needs.
- How much does Florida KidCare cost?
a. Many families pay $15 or $20 per month, but most families pay nothing at all. A full-pay option is available for families with higher household incomes. With Healthy Kids, families will also have some small co-pays for certain services.
- Does Florida KidCare cover dental services?
a. Yes, but services may be different with each plan and program.
- What medical services does Florida KidCare cover?
a. Benefits include well-child visits, shots, hospital stays, dental coverage, vision services, prescriptions, mental health services and much more!
- Will I ever need to renew my account?
a. Yes. You must renew every 12 months. We will send you a reminder in the mail. You can renew online or through the mail.
- I’ve been told that I make too much money for subsidized coverage, but I still need health insurance for my children. How can I get coverage?
a. Two Florida KidCare partners, Florida Healthy Kids and MediKids, offer full-pay options for families with higher family incomes. You can apply using the same Florida KidCare application online or by calling 1-888-540-KIDS (5437) to ask that an application be mailed to you.
- How long does it take to process my application?
a. It can take four to six weeks. Coverage begins only on the first of the month after your child’s eligibility has been determined and the first month’s premium has been paid, if a premium is needed.
- Will I be able to choose my child’s doctor?
a. Yes, but the doctors that are available may be different with each plan and program.
- How will the doctor’s office know my child is covered through a Florida KidCare partner?
a. Your Florida KidCare health plan and dental plan or program will send you an identification card. You will present this card to the doctor’s office when receiving care.
- Once my child is enrolled, could they ever lose coverage?
a. Your child could lose coverage if you do not make a payment on time, your child reaches 19 years of age, your child gets another form of health insurance (Medicaid, private or employer-sponsored), you do not renew their account every year, or your child moves to another state. There may be other reasons that a child could lose coverage too.
- I am moving to Florida next month. Can I sign my child up for Florida KidCare now?
a. You can apply for coverage as soon as you have a Florida address.