Florida Healthy Kids

New Citizenship and Identity Requirements Have Taken Effect

All new or renewing Florida KidCare enrollees must provide proof of citizenship and identity. But don’t worry – your existing coverage will not be cancelled if you don’t have the documents on hand right now. This applies only to new or renewing families.

In an effort to make things easier for our families, Florida KidCare will try to check this information with our agency partners. As a result, you may not need to provide any additional information. If Florida KidCare is not able to find all needed information for you, you may be asked to provide additional information. A complete list of acceptable documentation is listed below.

If you have any questions, call our toll-free customer service department at 1-(888) 540-5437.

Acceptable Forms of Documentation for Citizenship and Identity

  1. The following documents may be accepted as proof of citizenship AND identity:
    • A U.S. passport (does not have to be currently valid)
    • Certificate of Naturalization (DHS form N-550 or N-570)
    • Certificate of U.S. Citizenship (DHS form N-560 or N-561)
    (Note: individuals born outside the U.S. who were NOT citizens at birth must submit one of the above documents.)
  2. The following may be accepted to verify citizenship only:
    • A U.S. birth certificate originally issued prior to age 5
    • A Report of Birth Abroad of a U.S. Citizen (forms FS-240, FS 545 or DS 1350)
    • A U.S. citizen ID card (DHS form I-197 or I-179)
    • A Northern Mariana ID card (I-873)
    • An American Indian Card (I-872), with the classification code “KIC”
    • A final adoption decree, or if pending and no birth certificate can be issued, a statement from the state adoption agency (U.S. born only)
    • Document showing civil service (employment by the U.S. government before 6/1/76
    • Official military record of service (DD-214 showing a U.S. place of birth).
  3. If the above documents are not available, the following documents will verify citizenship only if they were established at least 5 years prior to the Medicaid application and showing a U.S. place of birth.
    • Extract of hospital record, established at birth, on hospital letterhead (not souvenir “birth certificate”)
    • Life or health insurance record
  4. If the above documents are not available, the following documents will verify citizenship only, if created at least five years before the Medicaid application (unless for a child under age 5) and show a U.S. place of birth:
    • Federal census records from 1900-1950 showing the applicant’s age/U.S. place of birth. The five year rule does not apply to census records. (To get this information, have the individual submit a form BC-600, with fee, to the Census Bureau)
    • Bureau of Indian Affairs tribal census records of Seneca or Navaho Indians
    • An amended U.S. public birth record, after age 5
    • Signed statement from the physician or midwife in attendance at the birth
    • Nursing home institution records that contain biographical information
    • Medical records with biographical information (excluding immunization)
    • Attestations: A written and signed attestation by at least two people (one non-relative) who have personal knowledge of the birth and explain why the documentation does not exist or cannot be obtained, if they are aware of the reasons. The identity and citizenship of these two people must be verified also. A separate attestation from the applicant/recipient, guardian or representative, explaining why the documentation is not available. Attestations should only be used in rare circumstances.
    (Note: The five year requirement (see D, above) does not apply to attestations.)
  5. The following documents may be accepted as proof of identity only (use with documents listed in sections B through D above):
    • State Driver’s License with photo or other identifying information
    • State issued ID card with photo or other identifying information
    • School ID card with photo (For children under 16, includes nursery, daycare , school records or TANF school conference records and no photo is required)
    • U.S. military card or draft record
    • A military dependent’s ID card
    • Federal, State, or local government ID card with photo
    • A certificate of Indian Blood
    • Native American tribal document
    • U.S. Coast Guard Merchant Mariner card
    • In the event no other identifying documentation exists (for a child under age 16) an attestation signed by parent or guardian stating the date and place of birth of a child will be accepted. (This cannot be used in conjunction with an attestation from section D.)
    (Note: voter’s registration cards, Canadian driver’s licenses, or other documents not listed in Section E, may not be accepted as proof of identity.)